Mixed Peel, Cinnamon & Cashew Nut Granola
My great love… my nemesis. So delicious, so moreish, so… oh no, I’ve eaten it all.
In short: I can’t be trusted around granola.
What is it that makes it so addictive?! I’m thinking it has to do with the crunchy clusters. And that perfect hint of sweetness. And of course, the fruit or nuts or chocolate or whatever it’s mixed in with. It ticks ALL the boxes: fab texture, satisfying crunch, sweet but not artificial flavour, EXTRA DELICIOUS BITS, and the ability to taste amazing with everything. Yogurt? YUP. Straight up with a splash of milk, some berries and a few slices of banana? OH yes. And as a smoothie bowl topping? UH YES PLEASE.
Are you beginning to understand why I can’t be trusted around it? In short, I’m a sweet breakfast kind of gal and granola makes alllll my breakfast dreams come true.
…So what am I doing MAKING the darn stuff?!
Well… the thing is, it’s really fun to make. See, along with sweet breakfasts, I also have quite a penchant for mixing. It’s so satisfying, watching it all come together. Does anyone else feel like that? It reminds me that cooking -baking especially- is not only an art but a science, where creativity and precision really come together.
The other reason is this: I had tons of mixed peel left over from my Easter Hot Cross Bun Bread. I was thinking of different ways I could use it and suddenly realised it could be AWESOME in granola.
Not to blow my own trumpet, but I was right.
It is glorious and more moreish that I can take. Mixed peel is such a beautiful ingredient- it lends SO much flavour to whatever it is put with. Combined with golden raisins, cranberries, cashew nuts and warm, comforting mixed spice, this granola is literally a hug in a bowl. A hug for the tastebuds? I don’t know, whatever- basically you need this in your life.
Super easy and great with a variety of sweet breakfasts, this recipe is ONE TO TRY (and one to keep). As always, let me know if you try it out! 🙂
- 300g oats
- 50g cashews, roughly chopped
- 1tsp cinnamon
- 1/2tsp allspice
- 150ml honey/maple syrup
- 25g coconut oil
- 2 large egg whites, whisked
- 100g mixed peel
- 100g mixed raisins, golden raisins and cranberries
- Preheat the oven to 170°C (150°C fan). Prepare a large baking tray (or two medium trays) and cover with baking parchment before setting aside.
- Pour the mixed peel, raisins, golden raisins and cranberries into a bowl and set aside.
- Next, pour the oats into a large mixing bowl and stir through the cinnamon, allspice and cashew nuts. Set aside.
- Melt your coconut oil in a pan on the hob over a low heat, then pour into a separate bowl along with the honey/maple syrup and egg whites. Whisk together until well combined and then pour into the bowl of oats. Start by pouring in about half of the mixture, then once combined, repeat with the remaining liquid.
- Now you can spread your mixture onto the baking tray(s) you prepared earlier. Make sure that the mixture is evenly distributed across the tray(s) to ensure even cooking.
- From here, pop the tray into the oven for roughly 40 minutes. During the last 10 minutes of baking, stir through the mixed peel, raisins, golden raisins and cranberries.
- Remove the granola from the oven once it has turned golden brown and crunchy. Don't stir it straight away- allowing it to cool first will help the granola to form its delicious crunchy clusters!
- Protein: 5.5g
- Carbohydrates: 42g
- Fat: 6g
- DISCLAIMER: All macronutrient totals are accurately calculated based on the specific products I used. These totals may vary slightly depending on what brand supplier you use in the case of packaged goods. Therefore, all macronutrients given here are provided as a guideline only.